Monday, August 15, 2011

Smoky Mountains National Park

We went to the Smoky Mountain National Park for a few days. It was the first time the kids had been there. I think I was about 3 or 4 when my parents took me the first time. I have been there several times but not since I moved backed to Indiana.We should have went sooner, but plan to return in the near future with some serious back country hiking. We had a great time seeing the mountains and sights.
I went to several of the places that Mom and Dad took me and my sister. One of my favorites is a gravel unimproved road that cuts across the mountains to Fontana Dam. I didn't realize that the highway it came out on was Highway 129 at Deals Gap. Since I moved back to Indiana a few of my friends have tried to get me to go to Deals Gap and ride the Dragon. I said I might some day. It turns out I have been there several times, before it was famous.
Tamis doesn't think it was all that great, she got car sick from all of the turns. I don't think she will want to experience it on a motorcycle either. Overall it was a great trip, Clingmans Dome, Cades Cove and many other places haven't changed much.
 A place we used to swim, The Sinks has been changed, the road was reconfigured and a parking area added which was the only progress at the park that I was sad to see. After a few days on vacation I am usually ready to go home, but not this time, I don't know why but I can never get enough of the Smoky Mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment