Saturday, July 16, 2011

Barn Fresh from 1979

I was told that this 1969 SL350 Honda was put away in 1979, the tank was cleaned and the battery removed. The tank is in great shape and the battery box shows no sign of corrosion. The bike has its share of surface rust, but its all there. I picked up a new battery, tanked the carbs, 5 times in the ultrasonic cleaner, and installed new o rings, and rubber plugs. The carbs are back on, but I am waiting for one throttle slide diaphram. I think the tires are even original. I think I might just get this one running and take it for a couple of short rides before winter.
Another cool thing about this bike is that is was sold by the local Honda shop, Ikes Bikes. The dealer badge is still on the swing arm, it reads: Ikes Bikes 400 Main St Richmond IN Triumph and Ducati.
Ike and my Dad have been friends since the mid 50's. My first helmet and my first new motorcycle were purchased at Ikes, and my kids first motorcycle came from Ikes too.

The lens is cracked but the bulb is still good.



These carbs came out great for being 42 years old .


No comments:

Post a Comment